Federation University SMB Campus
The Lydiard Street South precinct of Ballarat is richly reflective of Ballarat’s heritage. The nineteenth century brick buildings that comprise the precinct include remnants of the former Ballarat Goal, the former Court House, and several buildings constructed at various times from 1870 onwards to house The School of Mines and Industries Ballarat, commonly known as SMB. The precinct is also noteworthy for buildings now demolished, including the former Ballarat Brewery and the Circuit Court House. Located on the Ballarat escarpment, the Ballarat School of Mines as it was originally titled, was a direct product of the gold rush in Ballarat. Following exhaustion of the gold to be obtained from shallow mining, the need for increasingly sophisticated mining techniques, required by deep-lead mining, generated demand for skilled workers and mine managers.
Need to Know
Open: Sat 10-4pm - No Booking required for this building
Tour Details: Join David McGinness for guided tours at 11am and 2pm on Saturday only. Tours will meet at the old gaol gates and will begin with history about the gaol and gallows. The tour will take in the new exhibition space, internal courtyard, library, 'Golden Point', C Building and include a talk on Henry Sutton. David will also be available for spot talks and Q&A throughout the day.
Building Type: Education
Facilities: Child access
Tour Type: Self Guided and Guided. No booking required. Just turn up on the day.
107 Lydiard St South, Ballarat Central VIC