Architect: William Wardell , John James Clark
South | S09
Government House is designed in the Italianate style and was built between 1872 and 1876. It was designed by the Public Works Department when William Wardell was Inspector General. Wardell was responsible for the overall design of the building, with many details being the work of another famous Melbourne architect, J.J. Clark. The main building, excluding out-buildings, covers 0.33 hectares (3/4 acre). The ground plan of the house consists of three connected and related parts so that the building functions equally well as a setting for hospitality, business offices for the Governor of Victoria and as the Vice-Regal private residence. There are three entrances: the State entrance, the Governor’s entrance and the Ballroom entrance. In total, the construction of Government House and the procurement of its furnishings cost the colony £200,000. The Government House complex including outbuildings comprises roughly 240 rooms. The State Dining Room table is almost the length of a cricket pitch and seats 54 people. The Ballroom is the grandest room in the House and can accommodate up to 1000 guests. The tower is 44m (145 feet) high. The flag is the Governor’s personal standard, flying at all times except when the Governor is not in the State of Victoria.
Need to Know
Open: Sat 10am - 4pm
What's Open: State Apartments
Special Note: Entry upon passing through security checkpoint and presentation of bags for inspection. Admission closes at 3pm
Tour Type: Self-guided
Building Type: Government
Facilities: Pram access, Toilets
Year Built: 1872
Tram Stops: Stop 18: St Kilda Rd/Coventry St on routes 3/3a, 5, 6, 8, 16, 64, 67 and 72.
Heritage Listed: Yes
Expect Queues: Yes
Government House Dr, Melbourne 3004, VIC