Scots' Church and Assembly Hall
Architect: Reed & Barnes
City of Melbourne | C44
The Scots’ Church, Melbourne, was first founded in 1838, however in 1869, the congregation decided to build a new church. This new church was designed by the notable architects, Reed & Barnes. It was built by David Mitchell, who was the father of the famous Australian soprano, Dame Nellie Melba, at one time a member of the choir. The church is known for its austere interior, including fine timber fittings and magnificent stained glass windows. The style of the church is Decorated Gothic, which is somewhat unusual among Presbyterian church buildings. The church spire is 37 metres high and was, for many years, the highest point in the city. The Assembly Hall was designed by Henry H. Kemp and was built by Swanson Bros in 1914-15 on the site of the old church manse. The rear of the building was added circa 1935. From the street view, the façade, return and tower are rock-faced sandstone with dressed stone mouldings. The hall is a late example of Gothic Revival architecture. The careful attention paid by the architect to style, materials and massing has resulted in a building that harmonises with the neighbouring church and is an integral part of the surrounding streetscape.
Need to Know
Open: Sat 10am - 4pm & Sun 1pm - 4pm
Special Note: Full disabled access (for Church enter at rear)
Tour Type: Self-guided
Special Programming: Children’s activities including colouring, find the items in the stained glass windows and dot to dot.
Building Type: Place of Worship
Facilities: Pram access, Toilets, Food and beverage available
Year Built: 1869
Tram Stops: Stop 8: Collins St/Exhibition St on routes 11, 12, 48 and 109.
Heritage Listed: Yes
156 Collins St, Cnr Collins and Russell Sts Melbourne 3000, VIC