Top 10 tips to make the most of your Open House Melbourne experience
- Plan your day. Before the OHM weekend arrives, decide which buildings you’d like to visit and make a plan. Consider the capacity of buildings, whether there are tours offered and at what times, and the attractions of each space. All this and more can be found in the OHM Program. Some buildings will be extremely popular and may have queues. It’s best to have alternatives up your sleeve and be realistic about the number of spaces you’ll be able to get to. On a good day you might visit 6 buildings. At previous OHMs, some people have managed to visit an impressive 9 buildings in one day. Other people prefer to take their time and soak up the atmosphere. Remember you can always spread your visits over the 2 days.
- Get the MOH program. It’s not only packed full of interesting information on each building, it also has all the details you need to plan your day including getting around on Yarra Trams.
- Book tours to tight spots early. In response to attendee feedback from previous OHM events, an online expression of interest system has been introduced for smaller spaces that have minimal capacity. Details and a list of space limited buildings will be found here. You will have 20 days to register for the ballot to visit these buildings! Everyone who enters the ballot will be notified if they are successful or not.
- Pick up your free copy of the OHM Children's Program. On the day you can collect the free Children’s Program at all buildings that allow children.
- Visit this OHM site regularly. In the lead up to the event weekend, the OHM website will have details on any updates and developments on the program and the buildings. For example, if there is a change to scheduling or an alteration to what will be open, you’ll read about it first here.
- Take your camera and get snap happy. Our Focus On OHM photography competition is free to enter and there are great prizes to win. Get the full picture here.
- Have a contingency plan and be flexible. Regardless of how much you plan, and how much we plan, there are bound to be unexpected elements over the OHM weekend. Have some alternatives up your sleeve so you can keep on the move.
- Bring a positive attitude. OHM’s volunteers and organisers are not being paid. They donate their own time to bring to you one of Melbourne’s most exciting events.
- Complete the visitor survey. OHM is for you, and the more feedback we receive, the better our future events will be.
- Make a donation. OHM is a not-for-profit organisation. To ensure we can grow the event and open even more intriguing and unique spaces, we need further funding. Even a small contribution helps.
Make your donation here