Beehive Building (Bendigo Mining Exchange)
Architect: Charles Webb, Williams Boag Architects
Similar in style to the Royal Arcade and by the same designer, Charles Webb. The original uses of the building include a hotel, a mining exchange, a restaurant, offices and function space. In the 1920s retail stores and a walkway were added downstairs, then in the 1950s the void space was filled in and closed over with lead light and other decorative features, with a lowered ceiling and false walls. The current development uncovers the rich layers of use by removing most if not all of 1950s work, retaining some of 1920s changes and revealing key features of the original building. Future changes have been proposed to encourage use of the first floor by linking to ground-floor uses of the larger casual dining space and other features.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 28 October 10am–4pm
What's Open: The ground floor walkway only. Further restrictions may be in place due to building works.
Special Note: Construction site. Enclosed shoes advised.
Tour Type: Guided
Tour Details: Construction tour. Access will be limited to small groups assisted by guides.
Access: Able bodied access only
Building Type: Commercial
Year Built: 1872, 1929, 1950s, 2018
Photo Credit: Williams Boag Architects
Heritage Listed: Yes
Expect Queues: Yes
24–26 Pall Mall, Bendigo 3550, Bendigo VIC