Eaglehawk Magistrates Court
Architect: H. A. Williams and Peter Kerr 1869
Eaglehawk | BEN21
The Eaglehawk Court house is positioned within an intact group of civic buildings and is a representative example of small regional courthouses. Built initially in a typical plan with front entered courtroom and two rooms at the rear, a third room was added soon after. The Magistrates Court was designed by Public Works Department architects H. A. Williams and Peter Kerr. Kerr, who also designed the former Post Office in the same precinct, is given credit for the detailing. Featured are the Clerk’s room at the rear, witness’s and Magistrates rooms, the main body of court and front lobby. The Eaglehawk Courthouse is unusual amongst courthouses in its adoption of a side entered porch under the main gable roof, rather than verandah or open colonade. The red brick building features extensive cream brick detailing. Cases from the Borough and surrounding district were heard by a Police Magistrate or local Justices of the Peace, [often the Mayor and another local Councillor]. Much of the original furniture is in situ. The Court house was later used by the Sheriff’s department and is since 1997 has been occupied by the Eaglehawk Heritage Society and used as a museum and research centre.
All areas of the former Court House will be open for viewing. Visitors can also take the opportunity to view the various artefacts and photographs relating to early Eaglehawk which are on display. Members of the Eaglehawk Heritage Society will host talks about the Town Hall and other civic buildings in the vicinity in the council chamber at 11am, 1pm and 3pm.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 27 October 10am-4pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Self-guided
Access: Limited mobility. All ages
Notes: Photography restrictions. Parking is available off Darling street at the side of the Court House.
Kids Activity: Children are able to stand in the witness box or sit at the Magistrates bench for photo opportunities
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Eaglehawk Heritage Society
3 Sailors Gully Road Eaglehawk, Eaglehawk VIC