Bendigo Town Hall: Council Chambers
Architect: George Avery Fletcher 1859, William C. Vahland 1866, e+ architecture 2003
Bendigo | BEN04
The Bendigo Town Hall is a prominent heritage building in the heart of Bendigo. During the height of the gold rush, Bendigo’s civic leaders decided that the appearance of the municipal building did not reflect the wealth and splendor of Bendigo’s ‘golden age’. Local architect W.C Vahland was commissioned to redevelop the Town Hall and came up with a masterpiece that helped to secure his place as one of the city’s most revered architects. The Town Hall interiors feature decorative plaster adorned with 22-carat-gold leaf, reflecting the stories of a city built on gold. In 2003 The Bendigo Town Hall returned to the elegance and beauty of its 19th century heritage after an extensive restoration and renovation program including plasterworks, murals and gold leaf worked by skilled artists and artisans. From the significant Council Chambers to the magnificent view from the minstrel’s gallery, the Bendigo Town Hall will leave an impression on anyone who visits.
Self-guided tours available during the opening hours of the Old Council Chambers and Town Hall Reception Room.
189-193 Hargreaves St, Bendigo VIC 3550, Bendigo VIC