Architect: Gawler and Drummond Architects 1935, Lovell Chen 2006
University of Melbourne Parkville Campus | UoMP07
Originally devised as a permanent repository for the autobiographical collection of famed pianist and composer Percy Aldridge Grainger, the Grainger Museum is now home to exhibitions and displays that outline the life of Percy Grainger, whilst celebrating the broader cultural and musical legacy of the Melbourne arts and music scene. The simple modernist building was designed by the University’s architect John Gawler of the firm Gawler & Drummond, with Grainger himself playing a close hand in both its design and construction. Whilst having been gifted the land by the University of Melbourne, Grainger fully funded the Museum’s construction and upkeep throughout his lifetime. The building officially opened in December 1938, however it wasn’t until the 1960s that it became first open to the public. Since then, the Museum has been used by various university faculties, with at one-point in the late 1960s and early ‘70s housing the Conservatorium of Music’s electronic music experimentation studio. From 2003 to 2010, the Museum was closed for significant conservation works, undertaken by heritage architects Lovell Chen. With the archives and collection now stored offsite, the current layout provides space for both permanent and temporary exhibitions for both students and the public to engage with.
The current exhibition How it plays: Innovations in percussion explores the innovations and experimentations in tuned percussion in Melbourne, from the late nineteenth century to the present day. In addition, the permanent exhibition galleries address the life and interests of musician and museum-founder, Percy Grainger.
University of Melbourne Gate 13, Royal Parade, Parkville 3052, Parkville VIC