Malvern Town Hall
Architect: Wilson and Beswicke 1885 , Crouch and Wilson 1890, Hudson and Wardrop 1926, William Ross 2016
South | S08
The Hon. Alfred Deakin (later Australia’s second Prime Minister) laid the foundation stone in 1885 on the highest point of the municipality, at over 30 metres above sea level. The building features two towers in the French Second Empire Style with fish-scale slates, circular vents, elaborate lead-work and cast-iron walks. The terrazzo floor, marble walls, and central marble staircase are a feature of the foyer. This leads to the upper lounge which has a similarly elaborate, coffered ceiling and plaster pilasters. The Town Hall retains its original pendant lights and has a vaulted ceiling, with Adam Brothers-style swags and urns decorating the curved sides of the vaults. The proscenium and rear gallery both feature cast plaster City of Malvern crests. The Banquet Hall features an ornamental coffered ceiling, cast plaster and a cast of the City of Malvern crest. The Council Chamber features Queensland maple furnishings and panelled dado, and a tiered gallery and vaulted ceiling.
Guided Tour by the Mayor of Stonnington, Cr Steve Stefanopoulos
Corner of High St and Glenferrie Rd, Malvern 3144, Malvern VIC