Architect: Joseph Reed 1867, Charles Webb 1877
South | S04
Mandeville Hall has historical significance as a manifestation of the wealth of the affluent and socially prominent Clarke family, as well as aesthetic significance for its interiors, which provide a remarkable record of 19th century interior decoration tastes and skills. The 13 acres of land on the north-east corner of Orrong and Malvern Roads, Toorak, were purchased in 1867 by Alfred Watson, a soft-goods tradesman who had a mansion erected known as St George. In 1877, the new owner, Joseph Clarke, commissioned architect Charles Webb to enlarge the original home. Webb also designed the Melbourne Town Hall, Royal Arcade, and Emerald Hill (South Melbourne) Town Hall. The English firm of Gillow and Co. designed and furnished the interiors. The front rooms are described as “the most intact and significant example in Australia of an interior influenced by the contemporary Aesthetic Movement”.
Guided tour of the opulent Entrance Hall, Stair Hall, Reception (Drawing) Room, Oak Parlour (Dining Room), Indian Room and Chapel
10 Mandeville Crescent, Toorak 3142, Toorak VIC