After Hours Social Hub at The Kelvin Club
You are invited to have a drink and relax after a day of Open House. Hear stories about the history of The Kelvin Club, speak to members and take a tour between 4pm – 6pm.
The Kelvin Club is one of the most respected senior private members Clubs in the City of Melbourne that is innovative, whilst respecting tradition. Whilst we understand the importance of looking back and reflecting on the last 150 years of our journey, we are focused on looking ahead as we build new partnerships, work with local businesses and charities and aim towards ensuring we have a positive impact in our community.
The Building was constructed in 1873 by JB Watson, becoming Watson’s Warehouse, initially as additional warehouse space for Buckley and Nunn. Other tenants to have resided at Melbourne Place have included Stanford and Co. Printers, Post Master General (PMG), Radio 3LO, Australian Broadcasting Commission, Radio 3AW and The Kelvin Club.
Smith and Johnson, were the architects of Melbourne Place, and of many other prominent sites in the second half of the 19th century. Other notable works completed by Smith and Johnson include the Law Courts, the Supreme Court Library, Esplanade Hotel, Athenaeum Theatre and Metropolitan Fire Station.
Melbourne Place has a Bluestone foundation with timber floors. The construction is brick which has been rendered to the southernmost section. The first floor features a ceiling of acoustic tiles installed circa 1950. In some sections of the ground floor, namely behind the bar, a pressed metal ceiling is still evident.
The Kelvin Club has occupied the premises at 14 – 30 Melbourne Place since 1946 and purchased the property in 1950 for £25,000.