Bluestone Cottage Museum
North | N05
Built in 1864 as a 4 room bluestone, slate, hip roofed early Victorian style house, to accommodate Pentridge warder James Smith, his wife Maria and their children. A rear detached wooden and tin roof kitchen and bedroom/laundry was later added when the family grew. It is the last remaining warder's house in an original group of 7 located in Bell Street, within the sound of the prison bells. The cottage remained in the Smith family for over 110 years until sold to Coburg City Council in 1978. It was repaired and has been used as a headquarters and museum by Coburg Historical Society since 1981. The cottage is listed on the Victorian Buildings Register and by the National Trust (Victoria).
Self guide through the cottage or join a guided tour throughout the day. A permanent Pentridge exhibition is on display in the Annexe at the rear of property.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 28 July 10am–4pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided + Open Entry, Self-guided
Tour Details: Tours at 11am, 1pm and 3pm running 30 minutes in groups of 10.
Access: Limited mobility, 8 years and above.
Notes: Toilets available
Kids Activity: Tours and puzzles
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 34: Bell St on route 19
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Coburg Historical Society
82 Bell Street, Coburg 3058, Coburg VIC