Carlton Courthouse Theatre
City of Melbourne | C10
The Gothic style Carlton Courthouse has been used by La Mama Theatre for more than 20 years. Following the 2018 loss by fire of the La Mama Theatre's Faraday Street venue, the Courthouse has become an even more culturally significant site for Melbourne's performing arts community.
Built in 1887, directly opposite the former Carlton Police Station, the Carlton Courthouse represents a highly unusual design for 19th Century Public Works Department buildings, and is a reminder of Drummond Street's early role as the civic centre of Carlton.
The building was recently renovated, with upgrades to its audience entry and bar area, to better cater for more than 22,000 attendees of independent theatre performances each year.
For 52 years La Mama has provided performance and exposure opportunities for playwrights, actors, directors, technicians, film-makers, poets, musicians and comedians, with alumni that includes Cate Blanchett, David Williamson, Richard Frankland and Julia Zemiro.
Guided Tours of the Courthouse by a longtime La Mama staff member, with conversations around the future plans for the rebuild of La Mama in Faraday Street.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 28 July 10am–12.30pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided
Tour Details: Tours at 10am, 10.30am, 11am, 11.30am, 12pm, 12.30pm, running 30 minutes in groups of 25
Access: Fully accessible, all ages
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop: Melbourne University/Swanston St on routes 1, 3/3a, 5, 6, 16, 64, 67, 72
Photo Credit: Peter Glenane
349 Drummond Street, Carlton 3053, Carlton VIC