Central Park Conservatory
Architect: Francis L Reeves (curator) 1927
South | S13
Built in 1927, the Central Park Conservatory is one of the oldest and largest surviving public conservatories in Victoria. A reminder of the early 20th century fascination with rare and exotic horticulture, the conservatory and its heritage-listed fountain form the centrepiece of Melbourne's prized Edwardian-era, Malvern Central Park.
Along with the Fitzroy Garden and Rosalind Park conservatory in Bendigo, the Central Park Conservatory is one of only a handful of surviving public conservatories. Still in its original form, the conservatory is divided into three areas: the central area for tropical plants, with tiered display shelves located on either side. Serviced by an adjacent boiler house, the conservatory was constructed from wire-reinforced clear glass with a curved steel frame imported from Europe in the 1920s.
Reflecting a growing interest in the public display of exotic plants during the inter-war period, the conservatory takes pride of place in Central Park, a leading example of an Edwardian-era public garden in Victoria.
Central Park Conservatory, open to the public during the hours 11am – 3pm, 27th & 28th of July 2019.
Guides will be available to take you through a journey of yester-year. A must see heritage listed icon. Located on the Cnr of Burke and Wattletree Road in Malvern , easily accessible by public transport.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 & Sunday 28 July 11am–3pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided + Open Entry, Self-guided
Tour Details: Tours depart every 20 minutes, running 15 minutes in groups of 15.
Access: Fully accessible, pram accessible, all ages.
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Landscape
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop: Burke Road and Wattletree Road, Stop 52 on route 5
Photo Credit: Courtesy of City of Stonnington
Corner of Burke Road and Wattletree Road Malvern 3144, Malvern VIC