Architect: Osgood Pritchard, 1856
City of Melbourne | C22
Clarendon Terrace was built in 1856-57 by Robert Huckson for Charles Lister, a wine and spirit merchant and brewer. The architect was Osgood Pritchard. It is one of Melbourne's oldest and grandest terraces. Notable residents include Samuel McGowan, Electric Telegraph superintendent; G.C. Levey, M.L.A; Ah Mouy, a well-known Chinese merchant, rice miller and financier; and the Marks family, Elizabeth Street jewellers and opticians. Clarendon Terrace is socially and historically important for its associations with the preservation movement in Victoria. In 1977 it was saved from demolition and with government assistance the National Trust of Australia – Victoria took over the building. The Sir Robert Menzies Foundation then leased the terrace for 40 years until 2018. The Menzies Foundation restored and redesigned the interior, installing a new staircase and a large, timber, atrium ceiling space. In 2019 Her Place Women's Museum Australia have leased the building. HPWMA is a not-for-profit organisation that celebrates the social, civic and entrepreneurial achievements of all Australian women and their role in shaping our nation. Their vision is to create a space that honours the achievements of women, through exhibitions, public programs, education resources and an archive.
Self guided tour. An exhibition telling the stories of women from across Victoria who have contributed to Australian society in a broad range of ways. An exhibition of Australian women's pottery.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 28 July 10am–4pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Self-guided
Access: Limited mobility, all ages.
Notes: Toilets available, photography restrictions
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 15: Smith St/Victoria Pde on routes 12 and 109
Photo Credit: Caitlin Mitropoulos, Angela Bailey
108-110 Clarendon Street, East Melbourne 3002, East Melbourne VIC