Fitzroy Town Hall
Architect: W.L.Ellis and G.Johnson 1873
Inner North | IN05
The Fitzroy Town Hall was constructed in two stages in the 19th century. The hall wing and a tower were designed by W.L. Ellis and built in 1873 by Nation Company. The second stage which was designed by G. Johnson and built by J. Moore in 1887-90, included extensions to the hall, new municipal offices, library, court house and police station. The Fitzroy Town Hall is of historical significance as a symbol of the growth of Melbourne during the long boom prior to the 1890s. The building is representative of the aspirations and burgeoning wealth of Melbourne during the gold rush years and a manifestation of local government rivalry, which led to the construction of a number of grand town halls throughout the city’s suburbs. After Council amalgamations in 1994 the Fitzroy Town Hall was largely vacated, providing an opportunity for Council to restore and enhance the building, with the help of a Community Reference Group. On 18 March 2007 the building was re-opened to the public. Today, the building is used as a function and meeting space and is currently tenanted by Fitzroy Legal Service, Australian Communities Foundation and the Print Council of Australia.
Guided tours led by members of the Fitzroy History Society, giving an insight into the architecture and history of this grand building. Visitors will also have access to the Reading Room, Ballroom, Mayor's Room and Council Chamber. Bookings are essential for this event.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 28 July 10am–3.30pm
Tour Type: Bookings Required, $5
Tour Details: Tours at 10am, 10.30am, 11am, 11.30am, 12pm, 12.30pm running 30 minutes in groups of 20
Access: Fully accessible, all ages
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 14: King William St on route 11
Photo Credit: Courtesy of City of Yarra
201 Napier Street, Fitzroy 3065, Fitzroy VIC