German Lutheran Trinity Church
Architect: Architect Charles Blachmann 1874
City of Melbourne | C24
The ceiling is wood panelled throughout and resembles the hull of a ship turned upside down. The nave is flanked by columns with flower capitals. The timber used for the interior joinery and fittings is cedar and blackwood. The church hall was part of the first church building from 1854. The magnificent stained glass windows, all made in Melbourne, date from 1874 until modern times, such as the Jubilee window created in 2003. The large centre window in the sanctuary with its highly visible middle section and the Star of David symbolises the Covenant of the Old and New Testaments. The altar stands in the middle of the chancel/sanctuary, forming half a decagon (a ten-sided shape), which represents a very early Christian tradition. The pulpit on the left is made of cedar wood. Its panels are decorated with floral emblems. The church hall was part of the first 1854 church building.
The church and church hall will be open for visitors and a self-guided tours. Our archives team and members of our congregation will provide additional information and support if requested. Hand crafted material as well as food and beverage will be available for sale in the church hall.
22 Parliament Place, East Melbourne 3002, East Melbourne VIC