Immaculate Conception Church
City of Boroondara | B03
The Immaculate Conception Church is the most prominent landmark in the city of Hawthorn. Towering above the corner of Burwood and Glenferrie Roads, it is one of the more beautiful and impressive suburban churches in all Victoria, perhaps Australia. Designed by Crouch and Wilson to cater for 1000 worshippers, the Gothic bluestone church accommodated 400 when the first stage was opened by Bishop Goold in October, 1869. Then it comprised nave, aisles and bell tower to a height of about 20 metres. Over the next 93 years, sanctuary, eastern and western transepts and tower to 55 metres were added in stages to complete the building. An oustanding feature of the interior of the church are the glorious stained glass windows by Ferguson, Urie & Lyon; Mayer, Montgomery and Brooks. It has been in the care of the Jesuit Fathers from the beginning. Several events are planned during the year to celebrate this, the 150th year since the founding of the church.
Guided tours led by members of the community.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 28 July 1pm–4pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided + Open Entry, Self-guided
Tour Details: Tours at 2pm and 3.30pm running 40 minutes in groups of 20
Access: Fully accessible, 12 years and above
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Place of Worship
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 73: Burwood Rd/Glenferrie Rd on route 16
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Immaculate Conception Church
345 Burwood Road, Hawthorn 3122, Hawthorn VIC