Ivalda Masonic Centre
Architect: B. Dunstan Reynolds Architects 1923
East | E05
One of Victoria’s longest-running Freemason Lodges is opening its doors to the public. Built in 1924 as a central grand temple for three Lodges – Ivanhoe, Darebin and Alphington – Ivalda is neo-Greek in style, an aesthetic commonly adopted by Masonic Orders.
On 5th April 1923 representatives of the Ivanhoe, Darebin and Alphington Lodges met and discussed advisability of building a central Temple in the Heidelberg district. The name “Ivalda” was derived by taking the first two letters of the names of the Lodges. Designed by architect B Dunstan Reynolds and built by W.H.J. Bailey, the building is in symbolic Masonic style and is listed by the Heritage Council of Victoria.
The main Lodge room upstairs has a black and white linoleum tiled floor and the timber used for the magnificent canopy and three symbolic chairs was cut from a large Tasmanian Blackwood. There is a large copper dome, highly symbolic decorative windows, and light that changes colour depending on the type of Lodge that is meeting. Today the building is used by 25 different Lodge groups and two Women’s Quilting Groups.
Guides from Ivalda Freemasons will guide small groups of visitors throughout the day. The tour guides will give a brief history of the building and explain the significance of this masonic centre.
40 Salisbury Avenue, Ivanhoe 3079, Ivanhoe VIC