Architect: 1862, Crouch and Wilson 1873, John A. B. Koch 1889
South | S11
Labassa is an outstanding Victorian era mansion with opulent architectural features. Originally called ‘Sylliott Hill', it was renamed ‘Ontario' in the 1880s to reflect the new owner Alexander William Robertson's Canadian heritage. He had the mansion redeveloped in the French Second Empire style by commissioning the German born architect, John A.B. Koch, to remodel the house into a thirty-five roomed mansion. The interior features gilt embossed wallpapers, ornate stained glass and a rare trompe l'oeil ceiling. Renamed Labassa in 1904, the property was home to Melbourne's elite until 1920, when it was divided into flats. Residents included Hollywood's first Australian silent film star alongside a breadth of colourful artists and bohemian characters. Labassa is the most lavish of the few surviving nineteenth century mansions and the magnificently restored interiors of the main rooms continue impress visitors.
Open for self-guided viewing, with volunteers on hand throughout to answer questions.
Need to Know
Open: Sunday 28 July 10am–4pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Self-guided
Access: Limited mobility, all ages
Notes: Photography restrictions, toilets available
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 43: Orrong Rd/Balaclava Rd on routes 3, 16
Photo Credit: Anthony Basheer
2 Manor Grove, Caulfield North 3161, Caulfield VIC