MacKillop Family Services
Architect: George and Snyder 1858
Inner South | IS06
One of Australia's oldest remaining orphanage buildings, the foundation stone from 237 Cecil Street was laid in 1855. Designed by architects George & Schneider, this historic building retains original features such as heritage tiled corridors and a carved wooden staircase. Featuring stained-glass windows created by leading designer, William Montgomery, the chapel dates from 1905 and was designed by prominent church architects, Kempson & Connolly. Now home to MacKillop Family Services, there is also a Heritage Centre which provides an insight into the lives of more than 100,000 children who lived there.
Photos and case notes are displayed on the walls representing its time as an orphanage. Tours, guided by current staff, will share the stories of those who grew up in the building. The Heritage display includes audio visual historical information, toys, cots and beds previously used in the building.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 July 10.30am–3.30pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided
Tour Details: Tours depart every 15 minutes, running 30 minutes in groups of 15.
Access: Fully accessible, all ages.
Notes: Toilets available, refreshments available
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 130a: Raglan Street on route 12
Photo Credit: Courtesy of MacKillop Family Services
237 Cecil Street, South Melbourne 3205, South Melbourne VIC