Northbrook and Former Stables
Architect: 1888 Charles Abraham D’Ebro
South | S07
Northbrook features a small portico with pressed metal ceiling, elaborate mouldings and a balustrade parapet. The black and white marble floor of the entrance foyer leads to the main vaulted vestibule, featuring heavily panelled timber walls, a large over mantle with inlet mirrors and detailed encaustic tiles in the fire surround. The two smaller vestibules leading into the Morning and Dining Rooms, feature elaborate, stencilled and gilded, vaulted ceilings with cherubs.
The Drawing Room and adjacent Morning Room feature elaborate cornices, ceilings, centre roses and over mantles, as well as French doors. The Dining Room also features timber panelling, as well as three built-in sideboards and a large over mantle. The building has been owned by the Council since the mid-1940s. The Stonnington History Centre has occupied the building since 2008. A branch of the Library and Information Services, the Centre maintains the extensive Council Archives. Since 2016 the Northbrook ballroom has been used as a pop-up gallery.
Former Northbrook Stables, sections of the main house and the History Centre Archives. The collection includes photographs, letters dating back to the 1850s, building and subdivision plans, maps, rate records and much more. The exhibition ‘Streets where we live: from Crown land to conservation’ will be on view in the Ballroom Pop-up Gallery. Northbrook, Stables and the historical collection, which includes books, journal articles, photographs, building plans, maps, subdivision plans, rate records, newspapers, research notes and general local history information.
1257 High St, Malvern 3144, Malvern VIC