Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and Carmelite Hall
Architect: Augustus Andrew Fritsch, 1927
Inner South | IS08
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church has stood in Middle Park since 1891 with its current form completed and opened by Archbishop Mannix in 1927. The architect, Augustus Andrew Fritsch, was renowned for building a number of churches in Victoria in the distinctive red and buff brick Romanesque style. The large windows and generous proportions of Mount Carmel Church allow plenty of light and warmth. The church has several exceptional features including beautiful stained glass windows designed by the German artist F.X. Zettler, a stained glass window and sculpture by indigenous artist, Vicki Couzens, a pipe organ built by Frederick Taylor in 1907, and a sculpture of Our Lady of Mount Carmel carved by Robert Prenzel. This sculpture was one of three that Prenzel produced in his lifetime and the only one signed by the artist. A.A Fritsch also designed the Carmelite Hall. Its foundation stone was laid in 1918 by Archbishop Mannix and the Hall was considered one of the finest in Australia. Its most distinctive features are the highly decorated proscenium arch over the stage, complete with Irish motifs, and a sloped stage. The Hall currently houses the Carmelite Library, the largest spirituality library in Australia.
Guided tours led by members of the Church and the Church and Hall will be open for self-guided tours. There will be an organ concert at 3.15 pm and a Timorese choir performance at 12pm.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 July 10am–4pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided + Open Entry, Self-guided
Tour Details: Tours at 11am, 1.30pm, and 2.45pm running 15 minutes in groups of 10
Access: Fully accessible, all ages
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Place of Worship
Architecture Era: Interwar (1919-1940)
Transport: Tram stop: Richardson St/Mills St on route 12
Photo Credit: Michael Silver, Photonet Gallery
214-216 Richardson Street, Middle Park 3206, Middle Park VIC