Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron
Inner South | IS16
Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron is one of the oldest yacht clubs in Victoria and one of the last Art Deco sporting clubhouses in Australia. It was the control centre for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic yachting events and the 1999 Laser World Championship.
The building was extensively renovated and extended in 1996 but the General Committee room and Members Olympic Lounge remain virtually intact from 1926, including period furniture. The grand entrance and staircase have been graced by Royal and Vice-Royal figures including Prince Phillip during the 1956 Olympics.
The rooftop provides extensive views of Fitzroy St, the city skyline, and Port Phillip.
Guests will be welcomed at the entrance then hosted on a tour past heritage items including WW1 HMAS Sydney ship's wheel and the 1956 Olympic Flag.
Then to the rooftop for an unsurpassed view of St. Kilda, the City and Port Phillip.
Subsequently to the General Committee room, finishing in the Members Olympic Lounge.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 & Sunday 28 July 10am–3pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided
Tour Details: Tours at 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm running 15 minutes in groups of 15.
Access: Fully accessible, all ages.
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Federation/Edwardian (1902-1918)
Transport: Tram stop: Jacka Bvd/Fitzroy St on routes 3/3a, 16, 96
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron
2 Pier Road, Street Kilda 3182, St Kilda VIC