Sacred Heart Church, West St Kilda
Architect: Reed, Henderson and Smart
South | S30
Sacred Heart Church’s dominant campanile, topped with a copper dome and statue of the open-armed Sacred Heart of Jesus, is a fine example of a later 19th century Catholic church. The National Trust of Victoria 1994 citation reads in part: “… a major church of 1884 which is of critical importance as the example in which (architects) Reed Henderson and Smart turned the Roman Catholics of Victoria away from the gothic revival style and towards renaissance and baroque designs carried out in red brick and cement dressings, and is only a year or two later than the post-renaissance character of London, Paris and Dublin… Uncluttered space is here provided by the large barrel vaulted nave and broad side arcading, consistent with the external style.” In 1890 the church was finished with a low, square tower. By 1922, the congregation’s size and affluence justified completing the aisles, dramatically adding the new campanile and elaborately decorating the whole interior with painted stencilling. Gifts to the church included the fine Romanesque Revival, Carrara marble high altar, the 240-kilogram bell made in Dublin, the 11-stop 1910 George Fincham and Sons organ, and several particularly beautiful stained-glass windows.
Need to Know
Open: Thursday 1 January 10am-4pm
What's Open: The Nave. The Altar for viewing only.
Tour Type: S30
Access: Fully accessible
Building Type: Place of Worship
Facilities: Toilets, Food and beverage available
Special Programming: An intermittent program of liturgically themed music, featuring the 1910 George Fincham & Sons organ.
Year Built: 1884
Transport: Stop 133: Cantebury Rd & Fitzroy St on route 3, 16, 96
Photo Credit: Serge Thomann
Photography Restricted: Yes
Cnr Grey and Neptune Streets, St Kilda, VIC