The Johnston Collection
Architect: John McIntosh 1860
City of Melbourne | C23
Fairhall is a double-fronted two-storey townhouse in the classical style. It was built in 1860 by John McIntosh of Nicholson Street for James Cumming, dental surgeon. It was originally single-fronted of four rooms, and was extended sideways to its current double fronted arrangement in 1870. In 1883 Cummings sold the house to George Hamilton Dougharty, landowner and stock and station agent, who named it Cadzow (from the Celtic, ‘cadihou’, meaning ‘beautiful castle’) after the town in Scotland where the Dougharty family house, Fairhall, was situated. The Dougharty family remained in the house until 1952, when it was sold to William Robert Johnston, property investor, antique dealer and collector. He changed the name of the house to the more euphonious Fairhall and made many alterations both inside and out. At first Johnston let the house as flats, but lived there from 1971 until his death in 1986. Johnston bequeathed the building and his astonishing collection of 18th century fine and decorative arts from the English Georgian, Regency period to the people of Victoria. Today, Fairhall displays works from Johnston’s collection and is rearranged for three themed tours annually. The Johnston Collection also incorporates a lecture space, retail shop and reference library.
Guests will be taken on a guided tour of Fairhall with a focus on significant aspects of the building. Fairhall will be arranged for TJC's annual house-of-ideas exhibition where guest artist, Janet Laurence, will use Fairhall as a site-specific installation space to reconceptualise the interior.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 July 10am–1.45pm
Tour Type: Bookings Required, $5
Tour Details: Tours at 9.45am, 11am, 12.15pm running 60 minutes in groups of 22
Access: Limited mobility, 8 years and above
Notes: Toilets available, photography restrictions
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 11: Powlett St on routes 48, 75
Photo Credit: Adam Luttick, Courtesy of The Johnston Collection
192 Wellington Parade, East Melbourne, East Melbourne VIC