The Melbourne Camera Club
Architect: R.Adamson & W.McKean, 1876
Inner South | IS03
Built in 1876, the heritage-listed neo-classical Corinthian-style building was designed by local architects Robert Adamson and William McKean. Once home to the Freemasons' Yarra Yarra Lodge, the building has been restored to its original Victorian-era splendour, with much of its masonic symbolism intact.
Occupied by the Freemasons until 1881, the building was subsequently used as a furniture warehouse and by the Try Boy Society during the 1890s. The building was re-acquired by the Freemasons in 1910 when the Yarra Yarra and Emerald Hill (now South Melbourne) lodges merged, remaining occupied until the mid 1920s. After falling into disrepair, the building was purchased by the Melbourne Camera Club in 1979, who restored and repurposed the space into club rooms and exhibition space.
Carefully restored to the specifications of Heritage Victoria, the interior features an impressive auditorium accessed via a winding staircase. Another notable feature is the coat-of-arms above the Dorcas Street entrance.
All areas of the building will be open and club members will be available to provide information to visitors. There will be an exhibition in the Gallery of prints from the clubs extensive archives that date back some 70 years.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 & Sunday 28 July 10am–4.30pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Self-guided
Access: Limited mobility, all ages.
Notes: Toilets available
Kids Activity: Drop in to a free cyanotype workshop where children will be able to create and print an image to take home.
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Tram stop 127 South Melbourne: Route 96 Tram stop 26 Ferrars & Park Streets: Route 1
Photo Credit: Selby Markham
254-256 Ferrars Street, South Melbourne 3205, South Melbourne VIC