Umina, The Country Women’s Association of Victoria
South | S03
Umina, the home of The Country Women’s Association of Victoria Inc. (CWA), was built in 1876 for Victoria’s Chief Secretary John Alexander MacPherson. An excellent example of Victorian-era architecture, it features high ceilings, beautiful wooden surrounds and windows, a butler’s station, Arts and Crafts era (1905) woodwork cupboards, and an Edna Walling garden she worked on in 1928. Original features include bay and oriel windows, asymmetrical facade, tower, steeply pitched slate roof of irregular shape and a dominant front-facing gable. Much admired is the tessellated floor, stained glass and roof lantern of the atrium. The building houses the State Offices of the Association, formed in 1928 to support women, children and families, and the Umina CWA Bed and Breakfast. A lounge room feature is Flora Victoria, a floral embroidery made by members to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the State of Victoria (1985). An old map of Victoria on one of the office entrance walls contains a pin for every Branch of CWA at a point in time. The Edna Walling designed garden features rooms, lily ponds, wisteria pergolas, stonework and mature trees. The property is included in a Significant Tree and Garden Study of 1992.
Guided tours of the whole house and garden by member volunteers, and devonshire tea served in the dining room. CWA merchandise is available for purchase from the shop.
3 Lansell Road, Toorak 3142, Toorak VIC