Williamstown Town Hall
Architect: Plottel & Bennett Gibbs Finlay & Morsby 1926, Theo Kerlidis K20 Architecture 2016
City of Hobsons Bay | H04
As the largest building of its kind in Melbourne’s west, Williamstown Town Hall, built in 1927 by prolific architect Joseph Plottel, is an original example of an interwar municipal complex. Part of the Williamstown Town Hall and Library precinct, it is an important part of Williamstown’s identity and was recently restored and upgraded.
Through several stages of renovations, architects replaced the roof, restored the interior’s ornate ceilings, timber panelling, original floor and wall tiling, and upgraded the building to contemporary safety and sustainability requirements. An original copper-clad thermal chimney was removed, restored off-site, and fitted with new louvres that open in summer to release heat from the building.
In the heart of Williamstown, the building includes antique fittings, furniture and other significant items from its history. The project won two awards in 2018: the Melbourne Design and Government Design Awards.
Self-guided tours throughout the opening times
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 July 9.30am–4.30pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Self-guided
Access: Fully accessible, all ages
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Government
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Photo Credit: Peter Bennett
104 Ferguson Street, Williamstown, 3016, Williamstown, VIC