Yarraville Community Centre
Architect: Samuel Edward Bindley
City of Maribyrnong | M07
The Yarraville Community Centre building started as a common school in the early 1870s. The Government was later persuaded to build a state school on the site which opened in 1875. It was burnt down by a mysterious fire in 1888 and the present building was opened in 1889 as Yarraville Primary School. In 1975 the school was closed and began as a community centre. The building is of architectural significance as a successful integration of two eras of building, Edwardian and Venetian Gothic. It is considered among the most developed examples of the towered Venetian Gothic revival government schools and comparatively unaltered externally. The composition centres on an ornamental tower with a slightly bellcast roof profile. Internally, many original features remain, including bluestone floors; a magnificent cantilevered staircase; and original bell and high ceilings – with the majority of the window and door openings having stilted segmental arched heads. It is one of the most substantial 19th century public buildings in Footscray and is of considerable importance as a prominent historical landmark in the western suburbs of Melbourne.
Need to Know
Open: Thursday 1 January 1pm-4pm
What's Open: All areas with the exception of the 3 office spaces.
Tour Type: M07
Tour Details: Tours at 2pm, 3pm, running for 20 minutes, in groups of 15
Access: Pram accessible, Fully accessible
Building Type: Community
Year Built: 1889
Transport: Bus route 409
59 Francis St, Yarraville VIC 3013, VIC