Bendigo Law Courts
Architect: George. W. Watson
The Bendigo Law Courts are located on Pall Mall in Bendigo. The building was built between 1892 and 1896 by the contractors McCulloch and McAlpine and designed by Public Works architect George W. Watson. The building was constructed in the Victorian Second Empire style which has been described as reminiscent of an Italianate palazzo. The Law Courts are built of rendered brick and Harcourt Bluestone. The Bendigo Law Courts are aesthetically significant for their high qualities of design and construction, which are reflected in the building’s innovative planning, axial expression, carefully proportioned hierarchical spatial arrangement, internal decoration, fittings and refined detailing. The Bendigo Law Courts remain in use, with daily sittings of the Magistrates’ Court, regular sittings of VCAT, the Children’s, County and Supreme Courts. There are numerous other Courts and Tribunals that sit at the venue infrequently. Victorian Heritage Database,. vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 October 10am–4pm
What's Open: Foyer areas, partial Court 1, Court 2.
Tour Type: Self-guided
Tour Details: Self-guided tours available during the opening hours. Access will be limited to small groups.
Access: Able-bodied access only
Building Type: Government
Year Built: 1892 – 1896
Photo Credit: City of Greater Bendigo
Heritage Listed: Yes
Expect Queues: Yes
71 Pall Mall, Bendigo 3550, Bendigo VIC