St Kilian’s Church
Architect: WC Vahland
The current St Kilian’s Church was built to replace an 1857 sandstone church on the same site. Designed by the architect WC Vahland, it is over 33 metres long, 16 metres wide and its sanctuary is 9 metres deep. Constructed as a temporary construction and known as the Pro Cathedral, St Kilian’s became a parish church after the opening of the Sacred Heart Cathedral.
St Kilian’s is made entirely of Oregon and hardwood with a Kauri ceiling. The church was extensively renovated in 1982 and the sanctuary redesigned to meet Vatican II changes in the liturgy. Its magnificent organ, built for the Rev Henry Backhaus in 1860 in Paderborn Germany and presented to the church in 1871, was fully restored and re-assembled.
The church was painted inside and outside as close to its original colouring as possible.
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 October 9am-6pm & Sunday 28 October 12pm-4pm
What's Open: All of the church excluding the sacristy.
Tour Type: Self-guided
Tour Details: Self-guided tours available during the opening hours.
Access: Pram accessible, Fully accessible
Building Type: Place of Worship
Facilities: Child access
Year Built: 1888
Photo Credit: Damian Griffin
161 McCrae Street, Bendigo VIC