Blunts Boat Builders
City of Hobsons Bay | H02
From sea-faring vessels carrying missionaries to the New Hebrides to beautiful race-winning yachts, the fifth-generation C Blunt Boat Builders has been launching wooden boats into Port Phillip Bay for over 160 years. Located in Williamstown, the former workshop turned boatyard is an important link to Victoria's maritime past.
Established by young English immigrants Clement and Sarah Blunt, the family originally commenced boat-building at Geelong in 1858, before moving in 1926 to the Williamstown site that is still proudly operated by the family. Unlike many other boatyards that have since been modernised, the Blunt's yard is a rare surviving example of small-scale boat building, remaining true to its early 20th century function and layout.
The boatyard contains a simple rectangular shed with a corrugated iron roof and weatherboard walls, with Edwardian-influenced gables. The shed, rails, pier and winches were heritage-listed in 2000. The slipway system built by the Blunts, which occupies most of the yard, is said to be made with 1880s railway lines from United Kingdom, Ireland and Germany. The shed was also modified in the 1930s to allow sheltered work on larger vessels.
Visit for a self-guided tour of the workshop and yard access with city views. Meet Greg Blunt, sixth generation boat builder and proprietor of Blunts Boat builders
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 July 10am–4pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Self-guided
Access: Limited mobility, pram accessible, all ages
Building Type: Industrial
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Hobsons Bay
150 Nelson Place, Williamstown 3016, Melbourne VIC