DesignInc Studio at GPO
Architect: A.E Johnson and William Wardell 1867, A.E Johnson and Peter Kerr 1887, Walter Burley Griffin and J.S Murdoch 1919, Williams Boag Architects 2004, DesignInc 2012, 2014
City of Melbourne | C38
The corner of Elizabeth and Bourke streets has been the site for Melbourne’s General Post Office since 1841. The grand and monumental Academic Classical-style building currently on-site was designed in 1859 with several additions over the next 60 years. Identified as the centre of Melbourne, the clock tower and steps up to the collonade have been an landmark and meeting point for generations and and where all distances to and from Melbourne are measured from. Designed in 2012, the DesignInc studio is an open-plan workspace set on the second storey of the building. Reflecting the practice’s values, the double-height office provides a healthy environment with access to natural light and air to 70 architects, designers, support staff and subtenants. The studio was designed to touch the original structure lightly and to fit inside the heritage volume. The use of natural materials reflect both the built and natural history of the site. The studio includes meeting rooms, work areas, collaborative zones, a library, display spaces and an external courtyard. These flexible spaces allow for both individual and collaborative studio activities, reducing the need for tailored environments.
DesignInc’s architects and designers will be leading tours around the studio, giving insight to the workplace and its design, the building, their projects and how they work.
Level 2, GPO Building, 350 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000, Melbourne VIC