Ercildoune, Footscray Historical Society
City of Maribyrnong | M03
Built in 1876 for the National Bank of Australasia, Ercildoune was Footscray’s first custom-built bank. Over the years it has had many incarnations beyond its life as a bank, including a manager’s residence, a rooming house and a block of flats. Today, it is the home of owners and custodians, the Footscray Historical Society.
Historically significant, Ercildoune illustrates Footscray’s early commercial development, and is the oldest surviving bank building in the area. The society purchased the property in 1970, and have occupied the building and worked to restore it since.
Designed in simple classical style, the two-storey rendered bluestone building is an example of the work of prolific bank architects Terry and Oakden. Highlights include the bank vault, and the original encaustic ceramic tiles of the banking chamber, which remain intact.
Guided tours of the building and its history led by Historical Society members
Need to Know
Open: Saturday 27 & Sunday 28 July 10am–2pm
Tour Type: Open Entry, Guided + Open Entry, Self-guided
Tour Details: Saturday tours 10am, 11.30am and 1pm. Sunday tours 12pm, 1.30pm and 3pm
Access: Limited mobility, all ages
Notes: Toilets available
Building Type: Cultural
Architecture Era: Victorian (1851-1901)
Transport: Bus stop: Cowper St on route 220
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Footscray Historical Society
66 Napier Street, Footscray 3011, Footscray VIC